Every year we are supposed to make New Year’s resolutions and every year most of us fail to keep those resolutions. We commit to losing weight, being kinder to others, sticking to some plan or another. Resolutions are generally ways that we want to better ourselves and they are also generally ways we shame ourselves when we don’t live up to the promise. I am as guilty as the next person in this annual charade. So this year I thought that instead of making resolutions I couldn’t keep maybe I could make some for my country. Unfortunately I expect America may be as bad as its citizens about keeping the promises.
America, here are my resolutions for you. Do your best. This will be the year that:
- we adopt peace first and no longer engage in endless wars in places all over the globe.
- we stop shooting unarmed black men in urban areas.
- our citizens put down their guns and stop killing each other.
- even the Republicans accept climate change as a real threat to the planet.
- mentally deficient candidates are no longer taken seriously or allowed to run for office.
- the rich people in this country accept their fair share of taxes so that others can get some relief.
- homelessness and poverty are ended.
- drug companies quit peddling chemical happiness.
- we end the War on Drugs (the ones that aren’t from drug companies) once and for all.
- news organizations start to act like news organizations again instead of entertainment outlets.
- minorities are accepted as equal members of society and the promises of our founding fathers are realized.
- we quit lionizing famous people who are famous only for being famous and who contribute nothing to our collective culture.
- the arts are elevated to a level of appreciation equal to football.
- queer citizens are no longer killed for simply being and no longer commit suicide simply for being.
- we go 365 days without a single mass shooting.
- money is taken out of politics and legislators can no longer be bought by large corporations.
America, the majority of these resolutions are things that the majority of Americans can get behind. This list should be so easy with the support you can get. Likely there are several others that I forgot, but let’s start here. We can work on more next year. My hope is simply that you don’t fail as quickly as most of us once the new year starts.